Just because the winter has come doesn’t mean stop everything. No, it is marathon season and time to run!!! Here are a few tips to keep you in shape and make you feel HAPPY!!
So get up (out of that warm bed) and start having fun. You can work out inside or outside—you choose. Just move. The holidays are ahead and that means lots of food and yes DRINKS. So make a plan or set your goals. Here are some tips:
1. Schedule a late winter/early spring race. There is nothing more motivating than a race looming in the distance. Hopefully anytime we spend money and commit to a race, that will help us train when we otherwise want to be a lump on a log.
2. Make a plan, set up mini goals. Even if you don’t have a race on the horizon you can still make a plan and set up different goals. Post a calendar on your refrigerator with a workout plan. Set up mini-goals along the way. Better yet, post it on social media. There’s nothing like the hive mentality to keep you on the straight and narrow. Resistance is futile….
3. Peer pressure: Get some friends together and make a challenge. There are a number of monthly challenges online such as a push-up, plank, or sit-up challenge. This makes it fun and motivating when you can share your workouts with other people.
4. Move it indoors, try something new. Have you wanted to try yoga, pilates, spin, or interval classes? Now is the time to try something new. Try a new gym or simply try something new at your own gym. Even if you don’t belong to a gym, there is something called the ‘internet’ that is full of FREE workouts. If you haven’t checked it out yet, now is the time. You can get a great workout in without ever having to put your little pinky toe in the cold air.
5. Sticking with outdoor workouts? We have solutions:
- Warm up inside: jumping jacks, dynamic warm-up, walking in place. Do anything you need to do to get the blood pumping and get you warm enough to head outside.
- Buy the right clothing: This is really key. If you have the right clothing, cold temps will be tolerable and invigorating. Luckily I know just the place to stock up on your cold weather gear (hint: look at the logo on the top of the page).